[bittorrent] BT proxy

larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com
Tue Apr 12 13:18:08 EDT 2005

I am going to use regular URL based GET DATA requests and GET DATA ack to
help exisitng equipment to cahche the data (yes, this is just another non-compatible
change)

--- Andrew Brampton" <andrew at bramp.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
I believe
there was a commercial product that claims BitTorrent proxying

> It was
a transparent proxy that would watch all BitTorrent connection. It
> would
identify them as BitTorrent by either port inspection (ie 6881-) or by

packet inspection (I believe its trivial to watch the first 20 bytes for
> "BitTorrent Protocol").
>
> Once it is watching a connection it will
associate that TCP Flow with the
> Torrent's hash (which it saw in a first
packets). Then every time it sees a
> piece message it would keep a copy
of the data inside. Now next time another
> client is transparently connected
to the same BitTorrent swarm the proxy can
> intercept all outgoing request
packets and return the piece itself (as long
> as it already has it cached).

> This concept is very similar to a web proxy except in this case the
BT Proxy
> is doing anything transparently, and never actually making any
requests to
> the outside world.
>
> I believe the commercial product
that does this was aimed at ISPs that
> wanted to cache P2P traffic inside
their own network to save themselves
> external bills.
>
> The idea is
sound, and would be a nice Open Source project that university
> campus or
business networks etc could use.

-----

the yahoo forum. The
> > quote that comes to mind is that "a BT proxy is
an unfirewalled BT
> > client" -- which shows that the author either didn't
grasp the real need