[bittorrent] DTD for hashed files

larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com
Mon Apr 11 22:01:16 EDT 2005

i think i will move on with my own DTD. i do not really need verification.
you download torrent files from trusted servers and the structure of the file
is not going to be too complicated. i am trying to put the ideas here
http://larytet.sourceforge.net/rodiHash.dtd

any thoughts regarding DTD vs. schema and/or the file linked above ?
thanks

--- David P. Mott" <dpmott at sep.com wrote:

> I'm not aware that there
was a DTD for anything bittorrent related,
> because everyone has avoided
the use of XML in any part of the protocol,
> metadata or otherwise.
>

> (I personally like the idea of XML for metadata, and maybe even for the

> wire protocol, but I'd have to see some overhead numbers for an XML
> implementation (that supported embedded binary data) to really understand

> the overhead).
>
> If you're looking to validate XML, though, I'd highly
recommend that you
> go with a schema, as opposed to a DTD.  The DTD enforces
structure, but
> not content.  You could have an attribute that is TextLength,
and the
> value specified in the XML is "very long", and it would pass DTD

> validation.  The schema, on the other hand, specifies both structure and

> content -- you can require that a particular attribute or element content

> be numeric (with bounds), string (with pattern and min/max length), etc.

> -dpmott
>
> > Message: 1
> > Date: 11 Apr 2005 02:50:29 -0000
> > From: larytet.8708132 at bloglines.com