[bittorrent] DTD for hashed files

David P. Mott dpmott at sep.com
Mon Apr 11 12:14:22 EDT 2005

I'm not aware that there was a DTD for anything bittorrent related,
because everyone has avoided the use of XML in any part of the protocol,
metadata or otherwise.

(I personally like the idea of XML for metadata, and maybe even for the
wire protocol, but I'd have to see some overhead numbers for an XML
implementation (that supported embedded binary data) to really understand
the overhead).

If you're looking to validate XML, though, I'd highly recommend that you
go with a schema, as opposed to a DTD.  The DTD enforces structure, but
not content.  You could have an attribute that is TextLength, and the
value specified in the XML is "very long", and it would pass DTD
validation.  The schema, on the other hand, specifies both structure and
content -- you can require that a particular attribute or element content
be numeric (with bounds), string (with pattern and min/max length), etc.

-dpmott