[BitTorrent] KEY parameter in tracker protocol

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Fri Sep 24 23:02:22 EDT 2004

Rolf Wagner wrote:

> Is there anywhere a spec available for the newly introduced KEY
> parameter of the tracker protocol? Seems that I can't find any
> description of that parameter anywhere in the net.

It's hardly new, it's been there for about 6 months.  As with all things
BitTorrent, the best reference is the python source:
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/bittorrent/BitTorrent/BitTorrent/track.py?r1=1.89&r2=1.84>
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/bittorrent/BitTorrent/BitTorrent/Rerequester.py?r1=1.25&r2=1.26>

This might be on the specs wiki but it wasn't the last time I looked.

Basically just make up a random value for the key and always pass it to
the tracker for the current session.

Brian