[BitTorrent] Would it be possible to switch to UDP and STUN?

weezul_fenderson weasel at havoc.gtf.org
Wed Sep 22 07:14:31 EDT 2004

It is true that SIP based programs, like iChat or SIP phones, can function with *both*
parties behind a NAT and/or firewall.  It is my understanding that this is achieved via STUN
servers as follows:  We use a central server, like an AIM server, to agree that we want to
talk.  We both open a port for UDP and send a packet to the STUN server.  The STUN server
reports back the port that the NAT/firewall gives us on the *outside*.  We can now
exchange our ports and talk without going through any central server.

It seems to me that such a system could level out the BitTorrent swarm by allowing any
node to talk to any other node.  I don't think using UDP would be a major problem, but
one might even be able to do something like STUN with TCP too.  Thoughts?