[BitTorrent] More aggressive tit-for-tat

Arvid Norberg c99ang at cs.umu.se
Wed Sep 15 15:30:37 EDT 2004

buzmeggroups wrote:

> Are there any particular parameters I can invoke to be much more
> aggressive about not playing with pure leechers?
>
> I would like to choke off pure leechers at about a factor of 5-10 (ie.
> if they give me 1KB/s, I will give them up to 5-10KB/s)

One of the features of libtorrent (libtorrent.sf.net) is to set such a
ratio. It does a decent job at maintaining it. The biggest problem is
just with big swarms with many peers connecting and disconnecting.
Because obviously there has to be a certain amount given "for free" to
each peer. It remembers ips to avoid peers abusing this by connecting
and disconnecting. But if there are too many peers connecting from
different ips, that doesn't help and the ratio may not be maintained.

There aren't really any finished end-user clients that uses libtorrent
yet though.

--
Arvid Norberg