[BitTorrent] More aggressive tit-for-tat

Vitenka vitenka at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 11 00:34:26 EDT 2004

> I don't like enforcing unflexible ratios, - what you suggest means effectively
> capping your total upload stream when your download stream is low and it really
> doesn't help anyone - in MY opinion at least.

One thing that always seems to get forgotten is that when you first
start getting a torrent, you have no pieces, and so have no choice BUT
to leech without returning anything.
This is true even when the person doing the downloading is then going to
turn around and seed with a huge uprate once they get the entire file.

So some measure of flexibility is needed.

Having said that - if you want to limit the amount sent to those who
aren't sending you data (and as long as this limit is >0 everything
stays good) - all you would need to do is edit the code in Choker.py so
that it uses a lower rate parameter when it is considering connections
that aren't sending you any data.

I point out that this won't actually help you against sophisticated
leeches, who send a slow trickle of garbage data - enough to keep the
connection alive and with a positive rate, but not enough that a piece
finishes and the hash can be checked (and then the leecher disconnected)