[BitTorrent] protocol violation "key flag"?

Benson C. blc+yahoo at q.dyndns.org
Fri Sep 17 11:42:08 EDT 2004

I'm only a casual user of BT so I don't know much about this yet.  I
haven't been able to find much information about the "key flag", but
my sister reports that Azureus and other bittorrent clients seem to
support this so called "extension" to the protocol which I'd consider
a violation.  There are some trackers which require this of the client
and are denying connects by the official bittorrent 3.4.2 client, and
the tracker says "get newer version of client".  I tried blindly
installing the cvs version for my sister (her box is 1500 miles away)
but she reports it still doesn't work and the tracker rejects her
client.

I guess the answer to this should be in the FAQ at some point, but
just to be sure, has someone in the official client dev team figured
out what this flag does?  My sister would rather use the command line
official client than using the other ones.  I probably could get my
sister to send me the torrent that points to that tracker, but I
figured this should have been brought up often.  Yet I don't see many
topics about this at all through google or ...