[BitTorrent] directory download

Vitenka vitenka at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 25 03:10:14 EDT 2004

> Typically the full directory does need to be downloaded to be usable.

I disagree with this.  As long as you use pre-allocation (that is,
allocate the files up front - I haven't tried it with 'spares' since I
don't trust it) then when you have a complete file, you can use it.

Of course, you can't easily TELL when you have a complete file with the
basic client - so it works best with media files where a bit of
corruption doesn't matter.