[BitTorrent] More aggressive tit-for-tat

James aoxc01 at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Sep 15 16:52:22 EDT 2004

To the original poster:
How do you know, until after the fact, that you have an anti-social
leecher? There will always be the selfish ones who take rather than
give. I have a colleague who says to me that he seeds for 1/2 hour after
he has taken his download. He claims that he is already +100%. Never
happened with me except on some very rare occasions, takes me at least
as long again, often more. However that is him.

For myself. I seed until I get fed up and want to use the computer for
something else. I am registered with Demonoid (who seems to be down at
the moment) and my ratio is more than 2:1. Didn't take any effort on my
part, just left the computer on.
On those occasions when I need to use the computer and I have downloaded
more than a couple and the two which fished earlier than the third are
well past and in excess of a total 100%+ for all of the files I feel
able to pull the plug on those torrents which have a high seed ratio. It
happens sometimes.

How would you be able to differentiate me from the selfish ones? All you
see is my upload to you. You have no knowledge of my upload to others. I
could be getting lots from you but next to sod all from the other
torrents I am connected to, yet I am seeding them at 20+ kB/s and only 1
few kB/s to you. How would you know?

 From memory only I cannot recall any torrent which ran at full rate,
for me, download. In order to maximize my download at above 45-50+ (max
will be 64kB/s theoretical) I have to take more than one torrent, more
often than not three. How they feed from from them and how the swarm
feed from me is (I always thought) under the control of the tracker.

Seems to me that you are missing the point of BitTorrent. Perhaps you
should read the FAQ again. Perhaps you should look at the general
principles again. If you retain your attitude you align yourself with
the selfish ones, except they are ignorant, you are doing it on purpose.
No matter leech from me as much as you wish when we are on the same
torrent. No skin off my nose the computer is on and doing sod all else
except collect mail every 15mins or so. Oh! the lights are off while it
is doing it. I have no idea what it is up to, I'm asleep, or at work.

James