[BitTorrent] 0length target file bad performance

Roger Pate roger at qxxy.com
Fri Sep 3 14:28:28 EDT 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:17:27 -0000, dejank <dkostic at cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> The ultimate reason I'm doing this is to eventually allow multiple
> BT instances on the same machine to write into the same file. This
> is very important for large-scale evaluations, as I would like to
> look at the performance of the algorithm, and not worry about
> swapping when 20 bit torrent processes are each writing to a 100 MB
> file on a 512MB RAM machine.

Why multiple instances? Multiple threads, async. I/O, or other approaches should provide the same benefits separate instances would (e.g. better utilization of system network and disk resources) while being much easier to implement.

I'm not sure how efficient current implementations are in this regard, but if you want to really test the core BT algorithms instead of just current implementations, you may have to add these features yourself (or persuade someone else to do it :P).

Roger Pate <roger at qxxy.com>