[BitTorrent] Re: Replacing web content.

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Fri Oct 15 20:46:51 EDT 2004

Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> > TCP/IP has a slow start issues.  Each time you click a link you can
> > see this.
>
> You can?
> What about persistent HTTP connections?

Indeed.  Almost all modern web browsers support keep-alive/persistent
connections, which eliminates the TCP connection setup/teardown penalty
for fetching multiple URLs from the same host, providing the server
supports it too (and what production httpd's don't...)

> > That is why we have ARP cache/proxy, DNS cache, cached
>
> Eh, ARP and DNS are UDP only.

To be pedantic, ARP is at level 2 (data link) and UDP is at level 4
(transport) so they're not really comparable.  And DNS can use TCP for
large replies or zone transfers.

To the original poster: doesn't the Coral cache already do basically
what you want?

Brian