[BitTorrent] Support for "announce-list"

John Hoffman theshadow at shambala.net
Fri Oct 8 10:58:09 EDT 2004

>>You're supposed to ignore announce if announce-list is present.
>>And the announce list supports both backup trackers and load
>>balancing, while you only support load balancing.
>>

>No, you swapped it. My algorithm does backup, not load balancing :-p. I
>get a sort of load balancing because the list is shuffle in each client,
>so everyone tries the trackers in different order, but I concede that
>balancing was not the design criteria. Backup was.
>
>If I could find a "decent" explanation of "announce-list", I could
>reprogram it :).

"Load balancing" is nice, but unless the trackers you're load balancing
between are able to talk to each other, you'll wind up with separate
swarms on each tracker, which may result in distribution problems; the
swarm on one tracker may become seedless, for instance.  If the
announce-list specifies several trackers in a tier, it's assumed those
trackers are able to talk to each other and intermix their swarms.