[BitTorrent] Questionnaire

James Fowler rootless at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 13:43:20 EDT 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:55:31 -0000, tiny_ron <tiny_ron at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Questionnaire
>
> ¨ How did you hear of BitTorrent?
I have been interested in P2P for a long time. I heard of BitTorrent
when it was first used to distribute a linux distro. The first time
that was done. I don't recall how long ago that was. Maybe 2 years?

> ¨ What type of files do you like to download and how often?
I download big, 4.7GB files most often. At least 3 weekly, on average.
Also, linux distributions and other software.

> ¨ What BitTorrent website do you use?
Lots of them. However, I most frequently use suprnova.org

> ¨ What BitTorrent applications do you use and why?
I have tried lots of them. I prefer Shadow's expermental client.
Because of the options and information it provides about the
particular torrent. Also, the bandwidth controls.

> ¨ In your own opinion, how does BitTorrent applications rate against
> other peer-to peer applications such as Kazaa, iMesh, Morpheus etc?
I feel the quality of downloads is much better and the protocol is
much better than those clients that do not do shared dowloads.

> ¨ How do you see the future of BitTorrent?
As file sizes increase (and they continue to), BT will be more
important. I think we will begin to see either parts of the protocol
implemented in other P2P networks or the entire protocol.  I think
that it will become important for anonimty to be part of the BT
protocol. That will be difficult, if not impossible to overcome with
the protocol itself (particularly because it is not important to
Bram).