[BitTorrent] Interview

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Fri Oct 8 15:23:35 EDT 2004

> 3. Before BitTorrent became what it is, you worked on Mojo Nation, a P2P network with very smart concepts to encourage file sharing. Unfortunately it quickly vanished. Is it something you would like to revive?

hehehe.  i don't know if Bram responded to you or not.  Regardless I
can guess his likely answer on that would be "no!".  I was the first
developer of mojonation when we hired Bram.  he started working on
bittorrent based on the lessons learned on mojonation: (a) what people
really want and need is a way to distribute large content cheaper (b)
keep it simple.  mojonation did neither of those.

for what its worth, another of the mojonation developers (zooko) has
kept the mojonation codebase alive.  See the mnet project.
mnet.sourceforge.net.

> 4. According to your own words, "Mojo Nation incorporated many interesting cryptographic techniques". Do you plan on adding cryptotography mechanisms to protect privacy with BT 2?

cryptography does not protect privacy; privacy protection is much more
difficult than that.  bittorrent's purpose is merely efficient content
distribution.  i'm sure this would be another "no".