[BitTorrent] Re: Replacing web content.

Gary Fung gary at isohunt.com
Fri Oct 29 01:58:15 EDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:18:57 -0200, Alexandre Van de Sande <alexandrevandesande at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1-is Bram Cohen a member of this list?
>
> 2- Does anyone know the status of the webtorrent project? Is it being developed?
>
> P2P web hosting seems to be a natural next step, huge sites like
> wikipedia spend thousands of donation dollars to be able to keep up
> with their thousand visitors each hour. Imagine if each one of those
> users could contribute with bandwidth...

BitTorrent is geared towards distribution of large datasets, ie. media files. The problem with large sites like Wikipedia is not bandwidth, but server resources associated with running the clusters of database / web servers.

While P2P web serving would be interesting, it's not what BT was intended (small html files) nor is bandwidth the main problem of most large sites. Not media oriented sites anyway.

--
Cheers,
Gary