[BitTorrent] How much peer-to-peer?

rswerdlow rswerdlow at transpose.com
Fri Oct 15 15:28:03 EDT 2004

We are using BitTorrent to transport a large data file that is
created daily and is needed by our client software.  We are running
our own tracker and each morning we build the new version of this
datafile and start a complete seed downloader for it.  It all seems
to be working well.  Hopefully when our client software wich requests
the file it gets it from peers rather than exclusively from our web
site.

How can I determine how much traffic is going between the peers?  I
need to understand just how much of the bandwidth I am off-loading so
that I know how to predict how our application will scale.  Does the
tracker "know" which piece is requested from which peer?  Is there a
way to trap that information by parsing the output from the tracker?
Is there a tool to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bob