[BitTorrent] Support for "announce-list"

Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com Administrator dwknight at depthstrike.com
Fri Oct 8 09:03:18 EDT 2004

Attached is a copy of the Multitracker Spec document from the
BitTornado site (and source package).

The announce-list defined from that spec is a list of lists.
Each list is tried in order.
The trackers in each list are randomized on load, tried in that
randomized order, and ALL cycling of trackers is stopped when a
working tracker is found, and that working tracker is moved to the
front of its list for the next cycle.
It starts from the first list every announce cycle.

- -----From the site-----
The first tracker probed when the torrent starts is the "canonical"
tracker. That is, the tracker used before supporting the
"announce-list".
- -----------------------
Not recommended, especially if that tracker is WAY down in the list
of lists (like 10 tiers down). Most of the time, tracker
administrators put this sort of announce-list in to avoid using the
default tracker if at all possible.

- -----From the site-----
If that tracker fails, we shuffle the tracker list in "announce-list"
and try every tracker in it, looking for anyone alive.

If all trackers are unavailable, we keep trying all of them, just
like the standard client.
That's all well and good, but if there's a specific order in which
the tracker administrators wanted their trackers accessed you just
ignored it. You also didn't specify how many of the list to try at a
time. If it tries more than one in a tier at a time, it is abusive
and should not be used.