[BitTorrent] Excessive CPUsage

axionman2k2 axionman2k2 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 09:27:51 EDT 2004

It appears BT gets into a loop or runaway condition which causes it to
use all available CPU resources.

I posted this to the BT-help list, but seems it is more relavent to
this list.

specs:
version: BT v 3.4.2
CPU: AMD Athlon 2500+
RAM: 512MB DDR dual channel
OS: win98se
FW: Kerio 2.1.5
AV: AVG
ISP: cable
BW: 4mb/s DL, 500kb/s UL

I run Taskinfo2003 which is a utility that monitors system functions
and processes and has the ability to graph CPUsage for each individual
process.

When I run just 1 instance of BT, sometimes it draws under 1% but then
it jumps to max at 93-96% for several minutes, at times over an hour
sustained load for no apparent reason.  It seems it is near all or
near nothing when it comes to CPUsage.

Right now I am running 5 instances of BT.
20 min ago:
Four of the sessions were normal, using 0.16%, 0.70%, 0.18% and 0.26%
CPU resources.  A fifth session [w/ 8kB DL, 11kB UL] is maxing out the
CPU, drawing 93%+.

5 minutes ago:
3 of the processes are drawing under 1% CPU.  2 are now in runaway
condition, together using about 95% CPU, varying between 20 and 70% each.

Just now as I was checking the readings, the 3rd instance which had
temporarily started sharing the available CPU as mentioned above,
dropped back to normal, 0.44% and a single session again took over all
remaining CPU, `93%.

At the same time, I am also running winMX p2p sharing and UpLoading
16-20kB/s on it, but it is using only 1.3% CPU

I tried searching the archives but didn't get any explaination or
indication of a fix, though I did note that someone has mentioned this
100% CPUsage problem previously on this list.

My system is clean, no virii or spyware and taskinfo shows the CPU
load for specific processes.  BT is causing the intermittent, but
regular overload condition.