[BitTorrent] Questions from content distributor POV

John Reuning john at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Oct 20 14:05:41 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 08:35, Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> You'd need a special client for that, one that can open/load torrents
> on-demand.
> How many concurrent connections should that client be able to handle?"

I'd like to see several hundred, at least.  My goal is to have a service
that serves Linux distro mirrors over bittorrent.  A huge plus would be
for it to scale to distribute 100's of TB of material, on the level of
archive.org or large research datasets.

Aside from the performance and scalability issues, a key problem with
using a standard BT client is path structure for overlapping torrents.
For example, the location of a linux distribution version might be
/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/.  (Just an example, not
advocating fedora over anything else.)  Within that, there are various
subsets that people download.

1/i386/
1/i386/iso/
1/i386/iso/yarrow-SRPMS-disc1.iso
1/i386/iso/yarrow-SRPMS-disc2.iso
1/i386/iso/yarrow-SRPMS-disc3.iso
1/i386/iso/yarrow-i386-disc1.iso
1/i386/iso/yarrow-i386-disc2.iso
1/i386/iso/yarrow-i386-disc3.iso
1/i386/os/
1/SRPMS/
1/x86_64/

The problem is to allow people to fetch one of several torrents, each
with various subsets of the directory structure, without having multiple
copies of the files.  I'm currently working on a modified client that
will load torrents on demand and look up the torrent root from the
web-managed database.

Hope I'm making sense. :)

Thanks,

-jrr