[BitTorrent] Re: Replacing web content.

antipast0 at yahoo.com antipast0 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 11:28:51 EDT 2004

BlogTorrent (formerly BattleTorrent) is making headway as an easy way
to blog a .torrent file. General non-techy people are starting to get
it.

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Van de Sande
<alexandrevandesande at g...> wrote:
> 1-is Bram Cohen a member of this list?
>
> 2- Does anyone know the status of the webtorrent project? Is it
being developed?

> P2P web hosting seems to be a natural next step, huge sites like
> wikipedia spend thousands of donation dollars to be able to keep up
> with their thousand visitors each hour. Imagine if each one of those
> users could contribute with bandwidth...
>

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:43:28 -0700, Brad Neuberg <bkn3 at c...> wrote:
> >  Olaf, there is a project that is working on what you are
interested in
> >  called Webtorrent.  I blog a bit about it here:
> >
> > http://codinginparadise.org/weblog/2004/10/webtorrent-bittorrent-
extension-for_18.html

> >  At 08:36 AM 10/15/2004, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> >  > > TCP/IP has a slow start issues.  Each time you click a link
you can
> >  > > see this.
> >  >
> >  >You can?
> >  >What about persistent HTTP connections?
> >  >
> >  > > That is why we have ARP cache/proxy, DNS cache, cached
> >  >
> >  >Eh, ARP and DNS are UDP only.
> >  >
> >  > > routing tables, web Proxy cache servers, etc.  If you had one
> >  > > connection to the actual site tracker, and spread that file
bandwidth
> >  > > out over multiple peers, save the files to cache, then view
them from
> >  > > cache - each link would open up much quicker.
> >  > >
> >  > > While I agree that one could take the concept of BitTorrent
websites
> >  > > and implement it very poorly, I also think that it could be
done in a
> >  > > way that would be benifitial.  Especially down the road.
> >  > >
> >  > > The reason I posted was to see if there is any RFC or
discussion
> >  > > boards currently on this topic.  While I can imaging taking
the
> >  >
> >  >There is (AFAIK).
> >  >There's a mod for a webserver and a mod for Mozilla that
implements this.
> >  >But I don't know the URL.
> >  >
> >  > > current source to make this concept a reality would take a
skilled
> >  > > programmer maybe a month or so, working 8 hours 5 days a week
> >  > > (estimate)  I would imagine the RFC/concept phase could take
much
> > longer.
> >  > >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> >
><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129sg7hfs/M=315388.5497957.6576270.30011
76/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1097941013/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2
/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?
pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>
> >  >click here
> >  >
> >  >[]
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >----------
> >  >Yahoo! Groups Links
> >  >    * To visit your group on the web, go to:
> >  >    *
> >  >

up/BitTorrent/
> >  >
> >  >    *
> >  >    * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> >  >    *
> >  >
> > <mailto:BitTorrent-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?
> >  >
> >  >    *
> >  >    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
> >  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo! Terms of Service.
> >
> >  Brad Neuberg, bkn3 at c...
> >  Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
> >  Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

> >  Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.
Visit
> >  http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!
> >
> >  Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social
Networking,
> >  Java, Open Source, etc... then come work with us at Rojo.  If
you recommend
> >  someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!  See
> >  http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html.
> >
> >  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >

> >  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.