[BitTorrent] Questions from content distributor POV

Jesus Cea Avion jcea at argo.es
Wed Oct 20 08:26:44 EDT 2004

> Does anyone know how many torrents a single client can handle?  I'd
> like this to scale up to 10's of thousands of torrents.

The problem is not how many torrents do you seed, but how many of them
are "active". I conjeture that your resource usage is proportional to
the traffic you are serving, basically independent of the number of
torrents.

> > What's your definition of enormous swarms?
>
> It'd be nice to allow everyone in the world downloading a newly
> released Linux distro version to be on the same swarm.  Say, 100,000+?
>  Not that the clients could handle that many peers at once.

A swarm is not a full mesh. Every client connects to, say, 50 other
clients. But my 50's are not your 50's. If we share any middle client,
we can exchange parts without a direct connection.

So you can have a million clients swarm, if you tracker can support it.

--
Jesus Cea Avion                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at argo.es http://www.argo.es/~jcea/ _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/