[BitTorrent] Re: Replacing web content.

edavid3001 edavid3001 at primeinc.com
Fri Oct 15 18:40:07 EDT 2004

> > my machine does ARP requests, DNS lookups, etc.  While BitTorrent is
> > TCP/IP, it has to wait on the underlying OSI layers to do their job,
>
> OSI?
> TCP/IP isn't OSI.

I understand
http://www.et.put.poznan.pl/tcpip/architecture/archi_layers.htm

I was taught;
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci523729,00.html

DNS runs over UDP usually,  When I connect to
www.bigtorrents.com/somefile.torrent, I might have to do an ARP
request,  I have to do a UDP request on port 53 to resolve
www.bigtorrents.com, I might get ICMP redirects, etc.

Even though Bittorrent runs over TCP/IP, there are underlying
infrastructures it utilizes such as DNS that take time.

I am guessing that this single issue though would not be negated in
any way by using BitTorrent, though.

BTW - I am a big fan of BitTorrent.  I got Mandrake though it and that
worked very well.