[BitTorrent] Re: File name encoding

fahlmanc_ca fahlmanc_ca at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 16:50:36 EDT 2004

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "Charles Chan" <chancharles at g...>
wrote:
> I am running Linux and my file system uses UTF-8 encoding. However,
> most of my downloads are in another encoding (Chinese, Japanese)... So
> the file names created are all screwed up.
>
> Do we have any patch to specify the encodings for both sides so that
> proper transcoding can take place? If not, I am willing to help
> implement that.
>
> In the future, maybe the original encoding can be specified in the
> torrent file itself.
>
> Thanks,
> Charles

It was pointed out to me some time ago that there is a program called
bitcomet [http://www.bitcomet.com/] (written by Chinese speakers I
think). They implemented something that could sometimes help you, but
it is probably incorrectly implemented. In the info dictionary of
bitComet b-encoded files, the 'path' entries can be encoded in
non-unicode characters (breaking protocol), and a special utf-8
compliant entry 'Path.utf8' is created. Clients or computers that
expect utf-8 compliance in the path entry may act strangely when
reading these .torrent files, and they would likely have no idea what
path.utf8 means and ignore it (it not being part of the standard
protocol, or even well known).

So you could use BitComet when you encounter these .torrent files.

BitComet should have created a 'path.MBSC' (other multiple-byte
character set) entry or whatever, and have (at least intially) their
client read it while ignoring the 'path' entry, but write the 'path'
entry in unicode characters, as every other client should expect, so
that those clients wouldn't balk. I suggested this to them.

Even that situation isn't strictly compliant though, I guess, but it
is better than waht their present program does.