[BitTorrent] Questions from content distributor POV

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Wed Oct 20 08:35:32 EDT 2004

John Reuning wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>

>>Why not just run a BT client on the server instead of webseeding?
>

> Does anyone know how many torrents a single client can handle?  I'd like
> this to scale up to 10's of thousands of torrents.

You'd need a special client for that, one that can open/load torrents
on-demand.
How many concurrent connections should that client be able to handle?"

>>What's your definition of enormous swarms?
>

> It'd be nice to allow everyone in the world downloading a newly released
> Linux distro version to be on the same swarm.  Say, 100,000+?  Not that
> the clients could handle that many peers at once.

There are single trackers that can handle 225000 peers (given enough
bandwidth), so you don't need a tracker network for that.