[BitTorrent] Re: Replacing web content.

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Fri Oct 15 16:44:34 EDT 2004

> Go to http://www.yahoo.com/  Click on the icons at the top.  Each take
> you to a different website.  So for each of these when I click on them
> my machine does ARP requests, DNS lookups, etc.  While BitTorrent is
> TCP/IP, it has to wait on the underlying OSI layers to do their job,

OSI?
TCP/IP isn't OSI.

> so you still have some of this overhead.
>
> I didn't really want to/plan to debate the concept here.  And I am not
> saying that I am 100% behind the idea.  I have performed numerious
> Google searchs and just can't find anything on the topic and am
> curious what others thoughts are on the subject.  I do appriciate your
> input, as well.

Well, in my opinion it's certainly a good idea, but it requires good
integrated support from browsers.
For example, an entire article like
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2242 can be perfectly put
into a single .torrent.
You can still load all dynamic content from the original site while loading
all static content via BT.
This would even allow lower-bandwidth sites to provide more material.