[BitTorrent] Specs?

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Mon Nov 29 17:05:22 EST 2004

> > From: Justin Cormack [mailto:justin at street-vision.com]
>
> > If anyone is interested (or anyway) I might write a more formal version of
> > the bittorrent spec now my client implements most of it (just need to fix
> > behavioural aspects and chase some more bugs, restructure it again,
> > fix the timeouts and a few otehr things...).
>
> That's ALWAYS desired. With a good spec, programming becomes much more
> pleasant - not to mention that you can write tests to the spec first. Much
> better than trying to run your client until you blow something up.
>
> Marcel

well, given absence of specs, I have been running until detonation but
I do think I know many of the answers now, and writing it down will not
be too hard and will be useful if others can verify that they think it
is correct (especially Bram...).

I would be grateful for a good test suite if anyone fancies writing one
based on the specs.

Of course there is the big issue that once you have done the basic
protocol aspects, the behavioural aspects are much harder to test, but
lets start with the easier bits.

I will start shortly. Will not put it on the wiki as I want to keep closer
tabs on changes, but will accept patches.

Is anyone actually interested in trying to get the current version accepted
as an RFC? It makes a difference to whether I try to write a very formal
RFC type spec or a fairly formal how to implement spec. I feel it would be
a good thing to do but I am not really sure what timetable the transition to
2.0 will be.

[Actually I would be happier if 2.0 came out as a spec rather than code and
more of a chance to comment on it as there are a couple of major issues I
have with 1.0 for my application that I would like to see addressed, but
the hints version of 2.0 is a bit vague. But thats another issue and I guess
I should put in a real request for features with justification).

Justin