[BitTorrent] Re: bencoding 0:

skybuckflying skybuck2000 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 24 12:25:55 EST 2004

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, Mike Ravkine <krypt at m...> wrote:
> You've missed the most obvious solution.. embed the utf-8 filename
> information into the regular .torrent file as an extra field.  I
think
> this is what some apps have started to do..

Yes, this was actually my first idea also... but then the rest of the
torrent is still in ASCII.

I imagine a chinese programmer using maybe a different code page or
maybe some other character set for coding... then it might make more
sense to have the complete torrent in utf8 for example.

But with the _utf8 fields etc... those could be added to comments etc
as well...

This will just create duplicate fields... it's not that bad since the
largest part of the torrent consists out of piece hashes.

Though adding the _utf8 fields is the best way to keep compatibility.

Bye,
  Skybuck.