[BitTorrent] BitTorrent and streaming media

Andrew Brampton andrew at bramp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Nov 17 17:14:30 EST 2004

There is actually quite a lot of research going into streaming media.
Last year I did my dissertation on P2P Streaming Media, using a similar
concept to BitTorrent, this is found here: www.lancs.ac.uk/ug/brampton/fyp/

However this year I'm doing a PhD in the topic, and I can point you to a few
papers on the topic, but the most impressive is these guys:
http://esm.cs.cmu.edu/

They have been streaming video for a while now. I've only taken part in one
of their networks, but video quality was good on my home ADSL, and even
better on my university machine.

If you are interested in more links google for:
SplitStream, NICE, ZigZag, PROMISE, ScatterCast
(these are all P2P Streaming Networks of some kind)

I have a private wiki that I'm collecting all my research on, I'm willing to
give you access if you want to know more. But its very researchy, and may
not be useful to a normal user (unless of course you like reading papers)

Andrew