[BitTorrent] Re: Tracker URL working ;)

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Mon Nov 29 05:52:37 EST 2004

Hey you lot stop having silly arguments.

Buffer overflows are trivial to stop, just always check the size of your
buffer. The reason there are so many is that this can be a bit boring
compared to other bits of programming, and also that building proper error
handling into a program is often as much work as writing the program itself
as you have to decide what to do on every failure path.

Writing a bittoreent client is quite hard, and it doesnt help that the
spec is a bit vague in patches and it takes a bit of testing and thought
to work out what it means sometimes. It depends why you want to do it,
but as a programming exercise, well I wouldnt recommend it until you
have read and inwardly digested Stephens' Unix Network Programming as
a minimum, and you are quite familiar with multiconnection server
design.

If anyone is interested (or anyway) I might write a more formal version of
the bittorrent spec now my client implements most of it (just need to fix
behavioural aspects and chase some more bugs, restructure it again,
fix the timeouts and a few otehr things...).

Justin