[SPAM] [BitTorrent] BT Live Stream

Aaron Ingebrigtsen krepta3000 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 23:51:18 EST 2004

I wish there was a BT based live audio/video streaming system in
place right now.  I mean, I know it would be truely live, but
Shoutcast isn't Truely live either, because of the audio processing
buffer, the Encoder's buffer, the Shoutcast server's buffer, the
various router's buffers as the stream travels to the user's
computer, and of course the streaming buffer on the users' player
and whatever audio processing buffer it needs.  Lots of places where
data is being stored, processed in some way, and moved out, lot's of
ways a stream can take time to get to the ears of the listener.

My radi station plays a song, and by the time a listening player
plays the same exact piece of data, at least 30 seconds has gone by
on the source player.  That can be as long as an entire song, if
it's one of those tiny game songs or a sound effect of some kind.
It also means that if someone want's a different song played, they
have to wait for the change to take effect in thier own player, it
isn't instantaneous.

I realize there is a system called Peercast, that is very much like
shoutcast streaming, but I tried it and could never get connected to
the server that controls everything, so I gave up on it.  If a BT
based streaming system can be created, I'd use that for my radio
station, to save bandwidth.  Every listener would contribute to the
StreamSwarm, LOL.  I like how that sounds, StreamSwarm.

Anyway, I just really think that's a good idea.

Krepta.