[BitTorrent] Re: Tracker URL working ;)

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Sun Nov 28 06:53:17 EST 2004

> --- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "Olaf van der Spek" <OvdSpek at L...>
> wrote:
>> > --- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, Mike Ravkine <krypt at m...>
>
>> > Anyway programming is never trivial... make one little mistake
>> > somewhere and the one billionth buffer overrun is born =D
>>
>> If that's true then you're using the wrong programming style.
>
> Oh that's interesting.
>
> I am always willing to learn =D
>
> Would you be so kind and share your wisedom about preventing buffer
> overruns ?

Do not use raw pointers to variable size buffers.
Instead, write a class that encapsulates the buffer and it's size and use
that class for any write operation to the buffer.
That way, you only have to make sure the class is safe, which is much easier
than making sure your entire application is safe.