[BitTorrent] Re: bencoding 0:

Mike Ravkine krypt at mountaincable.net
Fri Nov 19 13:27:55 EST 2004

Wow, that message was so long it was flagged as spam by my ISP.

torrent meta-data files, as a general rule, will not compress as they
are composed almost entirely of hashes.  Hashes, by their design, are
VERY random, and thus don't compress.

Abandoning the current simple almost-human-readable encoding scheme in
favor of a binary one (and/or adding any kind of compression) is a huge
step backwards.

--kRYPT