[BitTorrent] Re: bencoding 0:

skybuckflying skybuck2000 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 22:22:34 EST 2004

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "mayor_mccheese76"
<mypublicaccount at y...> wrote:

> --- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "skybuckflying"
<skybuck2000 at h...>
> wrote:
> > I would find it quite cool if my bittorrent... [...]
> > would be able to store chinese filenames etc...
>
> I don't find it specified in the wiki, but I've seen several
torrents
> which have a "encoding" key in the root dictionary.  The value is a
> string specifying the desired encoding of the torrent data.  For
> example, "Cp1252".  Windows code page 1252 is the defacto standard
> english (ansi, ascii, whatever) encoding.
>
> Also, when opening a torrent in BitComet, it gives you the
opportunity
> to tell it which code page to use when interpreting the strings.

Using unicode would be better since this would allow all languages to
be mixed together like chinese, german, french, english, etc.

Here are some possibilities:

1. The whole torrent is encoded in utf8. This would still be
compatible with old clients as long as all information encoded in it
is in ASCII.

If some parts are not in ASCII then the old clients might start
seeing weird characters in the filenames. Depending on the client
this might or might not be a problem. If the client simply replaces
invalid characters for it's system then it could still work ;)

2. Double torrents. The utf8 torrent is included at the end of the
torrent.

3. New torrent extension .torrentutf8

Option 3 seems stupid, then all trackers would have to start listing
to types of torrents bleh.

Option 2 would be inefficient to much space, trackers are already
dealing with heavy loads I believe :)

Option 1 still seems to best option with still a decent ammount of
backwards compatiblity ;) and support for the future/languages of the
planet =D

One little possible enhancement would be to include a field somewhere
to indicate if the torrent is in ASCII or UTF8 encoding just so the
programmers are sure what kind of encoding it is.

Some last comments:

Just adding some "utf8" fields to the torrent won't do since the rest
of the torrent fields are then still in ASCII...

The point is too "completely" "replace" ASCII.

( Well not really ofcourse since UTF8 is compatible with the lower
128 ASCII chars if I am not mistaking :) )

> > I would find it quite cool if my windows xp was
> > able to display chinese text as file names etc...
>
> Option 1, google for "chinese language pack" on microsoft.com.  The
> language pack gives you the fonts to be able to view the language.
> Option 2, use IE to visit a chinese website.  It should ask you if
you
> want to install the fonts (and then asks for your WinXP CD).

Thanks for your tip, I like option 1 best ;) no cd required :D

> > That would be cool =D
>
> Personally, I find those "unknown character" boxes to be just a
useful
> as showing the actual glyph.  And it takes less disk space &
memory.  ;-)

Huh ? Noooo that can't be true... because as soon as one has multiple
chinese files... they all look more or less the same...

All empty boxes =D

Well if they looked like chinese, one still wouldn't know hehehe
unless one can actually understand the chinese glyphs etc... but at
least there is a difference, which one might remember the next time
one needs the same file or something ;)

Bye,
  Skybuck.