[BitTorrent] Tracker-hub implementation?

Harold Feit - Depthstrike.com Administrator dwknight at depthstrike.com
Tue Nov 30 23:04:14 EST 2004

Valid points about the efficiency John. I haven't touched your link
enough to know its limitations/drawbacks, but I do know that if it
doesn't use keep-alives, it becomes quite a problem, building and
destroying a connection per torrent every update cycle (it adds up
and can get pretty messy in configurations not ready for it).

You may not have intended multitracker to become a generally accepted
standard, but it did. Take pride in the fact that it did.

I currently have a real-world implementation of the BNBT based
persistent links and find that the overhead, in a properly deployed
state (ideally using multitracker for proper load balancing of
clients), is quite low. In my deployment, I have the tracker network
hub operating completely independent from any BT client peers so as
to keep the overhead generated by the link as low as possible. I have
yet to hardcore stress-test the network under its current
configuration, but it does hold up pretty well in low-medium
(5,000-10,000) peercounts (buckling because of Windows TCP
limitations, my own fault primarily). I find the single persistent
link to be quite stable and efficient in my configuration compared to
the peer stealer method I used probably over a year ago (similar to
the method your tracker uses).

I think we can agree that distributed tracker systems are already
available, and practical. How practical each one is varies by
situation.