[BitTorrent] BitTorrent and streaming media

Justin Cormack justin at street-vision.com
Wed Nov 17 14:31:13 EST 2004

> Could some future adaption of BitTorrent be used for distributing
> streaming media? If not by the end listeners/viewers, then by bigger
> networks wanting to share bandwidth between them for streaming media
> purposes.
> If such scenarios are indeed not possible, what are the current
> (technical) obstacles to this?
>
> I know there is something called Coopnet, but I have yet to see an actual
> implementation of it. If you know where I can find projects and
> technology of this type, I'm all ears offlist (unless you think the
> BitTorrent subscribers can benefit from the info).

What do you mean by streaming media?

Live broadcast is a bit difficult, as there need to be delays to do P2P.
But being able to stream a bt download of a media file is potentially
possible (if there are enough computers with full copies so you can get the
blocks you want when you want them). I intend to try this out shortly
(my bt implementation is finally approaching the point where I can test
out this sort of thing).

Justin