[BitTorrent] Bittorrent choking itself?

fenixoblodra crawling.chaos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 22:50:59 EST 2004

Recently while discussing an old problem I was having with a
bittorrent implementation (I posted here and got a few ideas a long
while back, which helped somewhat but not entirely) someone posed the
idea that, if left to its own devices, BT is capable of choking a
connection by sheer volume of inbound and outbound requests.  I found
this somewhat odd considering in my previous tests both the BT client
and the windows bandwith monitor showed that the network wasn't
anywhere close to being utilized. However I decided to give the idea a
shot---in essence what was done was to take a 3rd party client
(Torrentstorm in this case) and rather than leave it set on
"Unlimited" upload, set it to an arbitrary speed higher than my
upstream bandwith

What I saw was that, despite the fact that the actual upload rate
failed to change, the download rate typically jumped (I tried this on
a few torrents) and on average I seemed to reach a higher download
rate with unlimited upload off regardless of the rate that I was
uploading.

Might there be anything to this idea? I realize without running
controlled tests on a LAN where i can see all the variables it's
somewhat anecotal evidence but it seemed to make consistent results
across BT installs on several different machines.  I had the idea that
maybe it's not so much the BT client or the connection but rather the
local switching software (IE the router or DSL modem) which chokes on
handling the requests...but I'm not sure how one woould go about
verifying this