[BitTorrent] info_hash help

Adam Lyttle adam at lyttlesoft.com
Mon Nov 22 01:54:45 EST 2004

I am working on a BitTorrent client in VB (I'm much more proficient
with VB, so it's my language of choice). However, I have run into a
bit of a dilemma, and I have been unable to find any solutions to my
problems in source code (because VB is rarely used for protocols such
as this). So I was wondering if someone could help me out, preferably
explaining it in lamens terms so I can convert it into VB code.

My problem is with the info_hash, I can't for the life of me work out
what needs to be hashed. I have been hashing values all day to try and
get the same hash as other bittorrent clients that I am using, but I
have been unable to get it.

The specification states that I need to hash the info dictionary
value, what does this mean exactly? What part of the following example
would I hash?

:infod6:lengthi184102912e4:name10:..........12:piece
lengthi262144e6:6:pieces3:...e

Do I hash the 'e' encapsulation value at the end of the list
dictionary value?

Do I hash the massive 'pieces' value?

Do I put the 'infod' value into the hash?

Also, I have noticed that there are two 'e' values at the very end of
the torrent file. Should I be placing both of these values into the
hash, or one, or none?

Please help me out.

Thanks