[BitTorrent] BitTorrent and streaming media

Mieke Banderas miekebanderas at GameBox.net
Thu Nov 18 17:07:28 EST 2004

Andrew Brampton said:

>If you are interested in more links google for:
>SplitStream, NICE, ZigZag, PROMISE, ScatterCast
>(these are all P2P Streaming Networks of some kind)
>
>I have a private wiki that I'm collecting all my research on, I'm willing to
>give you access if you want to know more. But its very researchy, and may
>not be useful to a normal user (unless of course you like reading papers)

Thanks for your response Andrew. I have nothing against reading papers
but my main objective is to find a solution that could work for
broadcasting radio in Mp3 and ACC format. This is for a non-commercial
project coming up late winter/early spring. I already have the basic
encoding gear in place (though I'd be happy to find a way to use FastEnc
under UNIX/OS X without paying trough my ears).

I'm willing to read and learn more about technique, cooperation
organisations and projects  and where the best deals within the
international bandwidth arena can be found, but I'd like to avoid
experimental technologies that can't be put to at least Alpha usage for
my stated purposes in January 2005 or so. Do any of the technologies you
mention cater for Mp3 and AAC or even better work independently from
formats? Are any of them open sourced or have licenses that allow for
common usage by at least non-profit organisations, to your knowledge?
I'll make my own research, but if you know, please tell me.

The original plan was to buy additional needed bandwidth from companies
like Akamai, but I have yet to find a company whose offered products and
pricing fits small organisations with small budgets. Especially in
Europe, where I am situated.

-<Mieke

"The most reliable way of predicting the future is to invent it."
--Alan Kay