[BitTorrent] Bittorrent choking itself?

Blue Boar BlueBoar at thievco.com
Wed Nov 17 11:18:28 EST 2004

fenixoblodra wrote:
> Might there be anything to this idea? I realize without running
> controlled tests on a LAN where i can see all the variables it's
> somewhat anecotal evidence but it seemed to make consistent results
> across BT installs on several different machines.  I had the idea that
> maybe it's not so much the BT client or the connection but rather the
> local switching software (IE the router or DSL modem) which chokes on
> handling the requests...but I'm not sure how one woould go about
> verifying this

If everything is on a LAN, you're probably not going to see the
situation in question.  The problem is that if your uploading interferes
with the ACKs for your downloads getting out, then your downoads will
slow down.  This is going to come up mostly on slow links like modems,
and DSL and Cable with smaller upstream links.

					BB