[BitTorrent] Re: Replacing web content.

jason_b_alonso jalonso at hardwick.hackorp.com
Wed Nov 3 10:42:36 EST 2004

Hello,

I'm very much interested in seeing a "WebTorrent" implementation.
However, I believe that we can accomplish WebTorrents with much a
simpler design (iterations follow):

WebTorrents, version 0

How: run a torrent of an entire web site's directory structure.  User
browses local filesystem copy of torrented site.

Problems: Versioning.  This idea came to mind when I saw that
electoral-vote.com was attacked/slashdotted and could not serve its
frequently-updated content.  BitTorrenting a mirror (reasonable, since
the site is "small") would require frequent updates of the torrent file.

WebTorrents, version 1

How: Add versioning (methods addressed shortly).  When a client
contacts a tracker with an outdated version number, the tracker
prompts the client to download an updated torrent file.  Client
responds automatically.  Hash data for already-downloaded files is
compared against the new torrent file, and all is well (differential
downloads!).  What's more, a user can continue to browse the local
mirror (as before), while seeding, and updates should happen
automatically (with proper tracker prompting) while the user is browsing.

Problem 1: How do we accomplish versioning?  (Keep reading).

Problem 2: How does a tracker know if an update is legit?  This wasn't
a problem with static torrents, because a "static" torrent is
self-certifying by nature.

Problem 3: Does a client delete files that disappear?  I would say no,
and declare it a non-problem.

Versioning solution A

Add versioning by appending a number to the filename suffix (i.e.
my-site-mirror.torrent.v15).  No-brainer from there.  This should be
pretty close to backwards/forwards compatible (not there, but close).

Versioning solution B

Add some sort of metadata record to the torrent file and tweak the
protocol to exchange version numbers formally (you should be groaning).

WebTorrents, version 2

How: Add a digital signature (gpg/openssl... something open source) to
the torrent file metadata.  Stick the public key in there too, so any
torrent in a series certifies its successor torrents.  You get some
additional whizbang coolness out of this too, like "yeah, I'm
certifying this torrent."

Well, that's my two cents.  Thoughts?

Regards,
Jason Alonso

http://codinginparadise.org/weblog/2004/10/webtorrent-bittorrent-extension-for_18.html

> At 08:36 AM 10/15/2004, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> > > TCP/IP has a slow start issues.  Each time you click a link you can
> > > see this.
> >
> >You can?
> >What about persistent HTTP connections?
> >
> > > That is why we have ARP cache/proxy, DNS cache, cached
> >
> >Eh, ARP and DNS are UDP only.
> >
> > > routing tables, web Proxy cache servers, etc.  If you had one
> > > connection to the actual site tracker, and spread that file
bandwidth
> > > out over multiple peers, save the files to cache, then view them
from
> > > cache - each link would open up much quicker.
> > >
> > > While I agree that one could take the concept of BitTorrent websites
> > > and implement it very poorly, I also think that it could be done
in a
> > > way that would be benifitial.  Especially down the road.
> > >
> > > The reason I posted was to see if there is any RFC or discussion
> > > boards currently on this topic.  While I can imaging taking the
> >
> >There is (AFAIK).
> >There's a mod for a webserver and a mod for Mozilla that implements
this.
> >But I don't know the URL.
> >
> > > current source to make this concept a reality would take a skilled
> > > programmer maybe a month or so, working 8 hours 5 days a week
> > > (estimate)  I would imagine the RFC/concept phase could take
much longer.

> >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>
><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129sg7hfs/M=315388.5497957.6576270.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007389:HM/EXP=1097941013/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https://www.orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS>
> >click here
> >
> >[]

> >    *
> >    * To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> >    *

> >    *
> >    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
>
> Brad Neuberg, bkn3 at c...
> Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
> Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

> Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.  Visit
> http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!
>
> Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social
Networking,