[BitTorrent] Reserved bytes in peer-wire handshake

extadi2000 founder at extadi.com
Tue Nov 30 08:51:39 EST 2004

In order to establish that capabilities of the concerned clients, I
have used the reserved bytes in the peer-wire handshake in a way which
I feel conventional and convenient.  I set the value of the first byte
to 0xFA to inform the remote side that I am conforming according to
the format.  I leave byte-2 and byte-3 as 0x00 for future extensions
which aren't client specific.  I set byte-4 and byte-5 as a unique
client identifier (UCI), and leave byte-6, byte-7 and byte-8 for
client specific data.  I think it would be good to define a standard
here, and would like to know your comments regarding this and/or any
incompatabilies this implimentation would have.

I will be gone for two weeks so I will be unable to continue on this
thread.

- Shane.