[BitTorrent] Tracker URL working ;)

skybuckflying skybuck2000 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 25 08:52:36 EST 2004

Hi,

I looked a bit at how some other programs did it... then I looked at
the only source code I did not write... "UrlEncode"... and I guessed
that most have been the problem =D

And I was right :)

I completely forgot how UrlEncoding is apperently supposed to work.

The funny thing is that URL's have "reserved" characters... one could
call these "control characters" these characters are supposed to be
*not* encoded if they are supposed to specify where parameters start
and end etc...

http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm

 Dollar ("$")
 Ampersand ("&")
 Plus ("+")
 Comma (",")
 Forward slash/Virgule ("/")
 Colon (":")
 Semi-colon (";")
 Equals ("=")
 Question mark ("?")
 'At' symbol ("@")

So these characters should *not* be escaped :)

The wiki page and the original specification were not terribly clear
on this... but then again... it's part of the url specification...
but still it would be nice to include some extra "advice" about how
to make the tracker url etc... as to not fall again into the pitfall
that I fell into =D

So the "real" tracker url protocol is like this:

tracker url?info_hash=<url encoded hash raw binary
string>&peer_id=<url encoded random raw binary
string>&port=12345&uploaded=0&downloaded=0&left=0

That means only the info_hash is to be "url encoded" and the peer_id
is to be "url encoded"

In other words only the "values" of the parameters might need to be
encoded.

Now this string is working just perfectly ;)

http://tracker5.tvtorrents.net:6969/announce?info_hash=U%E8%0B%F3%BE%
22%14pG%14%16%95%B9%3B%AF%D9%C0%0F%FC%18&peer_id=%00%08%DC3E%ABQ%29%
5Fl%14y%12%D7%0FK%EA%5E%C6S&port=12345&uploaded=0&downloaded=0&left=0

Bye,
  Skybuck.