[BitTorrent] Re: bencoding 0:

mayor_mccheese76 mypublicaccount at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 14:23:31 EST 2004

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "skybuckflying" <skybuck2000 at h...>
wrote:
> I would find it quite cool if my bittorrent... [...]
> would be able to store chinese filenames etc...

I don't find it specified in the wiki, but I've seen several torrents
which have a "encoding" key in the root dictionary.  The value is a
string specifying the desired encoding of the torrent data.  For
example, "Cp1252".  Windows code page 1252 is the defacto standard
english (ansi, ascii, whatever) encoding.

Also, when opening a torrent in BitComet, it gives you the opportunity
to tell it which code page to use when interpreting the strings.

> I would find it quite cool if my windows xp was
> able to display chinese text as file names etc...

Option 1, google for "chinese language pack" on microsoft.com.  The
language pack gives you the fonts to be able to view the language.
Option 2, use IE to visit a chinese website.  It should ask you if you
want to install the fonts (and then asks for your WinXP CD).

> That would be cool =D

Personally, I find those "unknown character" boxes to be just a useful
as showing the actual glyph.  And it takes less disk space & memory.  ;-)