[BitTorrent] Need help understanding protocol

eloocsemaj eloocsemaj at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 12 01:07:36 EST 2004

I'm trying to understand the peer wire protocol but I'm having some trouble with the
cancel message. Can cancel be used to stop a block that is already being transmitted? If
not, how is this done? Specifically, how should a client behave in these circumstances:
- The client receives a cancel message for a block it is currently transmitting.
- The client wants to cancel a block that it is currently receiving. If sending a cancel
message can accomplish this, when is it safe to discard the data in the receiving buffer
(where does the next message begin)?

I apologize if the answers are obvious but this is my first try at network programming and
I couldn't find this information in the documentation. Thanks!