[BitTorrent] Re: bencoding 0:

skybuckflying skybuck2000 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 20 13:40:57 EST 2004

--- In BitTorrent at yahoogroups.com, "Olaf van der Spek" <OvdSpek at L...>
wrote:
> > Excellent :)
> >
> > So that means the minimum size of a string is 2 characters.
> >
> > I do wonder a bit about the "character set" being used...
> >
> > It's probably just ansi... and unicode is compatible with that...
lol.

> ANSI or ASCII?

Isn't ASCII the same as the lower 128 ANSI characters ?

> > I do wonder what about if chinese people want to make chinese
file
> > names ? :)
> >
> > Maybe that's a bad idea in general lol :) Let english rule the
world
> > hehe...
> >
> > Anyway...
> >
> > I guess the minimum size of an integer is 3
>
> Why is the min size so important to you?

Well just so parsing routines can exit when a string is less than the
minimum :)

Anyway I'll use this post to bring up a possible issue for the future.

My bencoding parser is now pretty robust... though I still have to
implement dictionaries.

I think most if not all communication between trackers and clients,
and clients <-> clients is bencoded right ?

So that means all this "bencoding/bdecoding" is going to require a
lot of parsing etc.

I think this could become an issue for "slow" PC with "fast"
connections in the future, if it's not already an issue :)

My estimate would be that it becomes an issue for say a PIII 450 mhz
and 1 MByte/sec connection =D then maybe it would be stuck at say 500
to 700 KByte/sec.

Ofcourse these slow CPU's arent'y sold anymore and maybe most people
have fast cpu's so maybe it won't be an issue...:)

Bye,
  Skybuck =D