[BitTorrent] Re: bencoding 0:

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sun Nov 21 18:12:52 EST 2004

>From: "Olaf van der Spek" <OvdSpek at LIACS.NL>
> > Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> >>
> >> Could be worthwhile to specify that torrent files may be optionally
> >> compressed using the libz style compression. Though this isn't a large
> >> gain.
> >>

> > I think that we can agree that torrent files need not be compressed for
> > storage, only for transfer. HTTP already supports libz compression.
>
> It's called gzip compression, not libz compression.
> And HTTP isn't the only storage mechanism.

Both refer to the same flavor of LZ77+Huffman. The RFC would be a better
pointer, but I didn't have the number memorized. As we're refering to the
compression, not the file format, "libz" seemed more appropriate.

>From: Olaf van der Spek <OvdSpek at LIACS.NL>
> >>
> >> Well just so parsing routines can exit when a string is less than the
> >> minimum :)
> >
> > Any string of digits is a valid string length (no one generates strings
> > of length 0000, but it is valid by the spec).
>
> That's not supposed to be valid.

"Strings are length-prefixed base ten followed by a colon and the string.
For example 4:spam corresponds to 'spam'."

Sounds perfectly valid to me. Though I would support shooting anyone who
created such strings by design.