[BitTorrent] Bittorrent as a large-scale software distribution system

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Fri May 28 18:33:30 EDT 2004

> From: Jesus Cea Avion <jcea at argo.es>
> > Do peers share information about other peers amongst themselves in the
> > bt protocol?  If so you may have a difficult time keeping the network
> > segregated by routing domain using the tracker.  it would then require
> > cooperation of the clients based on instructions from the tracker.
>
> My idea could be that the BT clients in the mirrors could be BGP4 aware,
> not the tracker. The mirror could refuse to unchoke connections with a
> AS metric outside the local policies decision. Or any other locally
> enforced rule.
>
> You can't do that on the tracker because the mirrors can have a very
> different network (BGP4) view. I'd rather prefer the tracker giving away
> peers that could never unchoke "distant"/transcontinental connections.
> Or, put simply, the tracker doesn't know anything about access policy
> local to the mirror.

I think this is unreasonable. This would require a change in *all*
clients, those who do not care won't bother implementing it and destroy
the value of the idea. Second, this requires all clients to have a BGP
feed, which will be difficult for most people to obtain (not to mention
this will eat precious bandwidth elsewhere).

By contrast, the tracker only has loose control. Likely a good, simple
strategy would be to fill half of the peer list with nearby clients and
the other half with random clients. The first failure mode is that a
cluster of nearby peers would end up with all the same pieces and be
missing some otherwise widely distributed portion, this would be
combatted by leaving some of the list random. The second failure mode is
that a client keeps connecting to widespread peers (pretty much exactly
what happens now), by making half the list local peers we do not
guarentee a client will go local but we make it likely. Can anyone shoot
this simple strategy down?