[BitTorrent] Re: Problems with RAM "overuse" by the BitTorrent client

Olaf van der Spek OvdSpek at LIACS.NL
Wed Jun 9 18:14:58 EDT 2004

Brian Dessent wrote:

> mat_bos wrote:
>
>>I had these problems with only one file (4,2 GB). When i started the
>>donwload the ram used procentage kept rising until it hit the 95%.
>>After that, every application i opened was slowed down as much as i
>>would be working on 10 yr old machine. When i used ram freeing tool,
>>it freed 70% of the ram and until it was full again, applications
>>worked (almost) normally. for me, this isn't normal.
>>but, i downloaded that file and now i don't have any problems with
>>torrent now.
>
> It's perfectly normal if you understand how a file cache is supposed to
> work.  "Free RAM" is wasted RAM.  The operating system's job is to use
> RAM as effectively as possible, and when an application begins reading
> many megabytes of data from disk (such as the hash check when you resume
> a transfer) then it allocates free RAM to the disk cache.  After the

Since the file is only read once in sequence, it'd be nicer if the OS
didn't cache it at all or didn't use too many pages for it. But OSs
aren't smart enough and purge pages that'll be used in the future again
instead.