[BitTorrent] bt2 protocol features

Blue Boar BlueBoar at thievco.com
Wed Jun 2 23:07:09 EDT 2004

Bram Cohen wrote:
> After much arguing, cogitating, arguing, and cogitating, the bt2 protocol
> designs are now further along than they were before.

Sweet!

> a beefed up peer protocol - there are some subtle changes to the state
> machine planned, which are strict improvements but kind of involved so
> I'll skip over them now. Also peers will announce which files they want to
> enable cross-torrent trading. Finally, announcements of having parts of
> pieces will be added, since that's enabled by hash trees. Doing that last
> part well requires some smarts, but again the smarts don't change the
> protocol so I'm punting.

The peers could provide a list of root hashes for other files they have
(all of?  Parts of?) ?  And the primary tracker URL for each hash?

Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "cross-torrent trading"?

> The main sticking point left is how to deal with piece sizes - ideally all
> peers should be using the same piece size, but whether that's a good thing
> to require and if so (or even if not) how to set it I'm not sure of yet.

If the piece size(s) were power of 2 multiples of each other, would it
make that big of a deal?

					BB